Join us for a Swim Trek day taking in Dancing Ledge, Seacombe and Winspit. We’ll start and finish at Worth Matravers, with a late lunch at the pub.
This is the Swim & Trek that was originally scheduled for 3rd September but had to be postponed due to poor weather.
A Swim & Trek day on the Isle of Purbeck allows members to visit and swim socially at some of the beautiful locations that we have on our door step. The trekking and swimming are not too strenuous and the emphasis is on fun. Our normal Sunday club swims do not run on Swim & trek days.
- Meet in the Worth Matravers car park at 0900 for a 0930 departure. A suggested £2.00 donation is the cost of parking for the day.
- An approximate one hour walk to Dancing Ledge and a clamber down the rock platforms for the first swim.
- For those who haven’t swam at Dancing Ledge before, the clip below taken from ‘Outdoor Swimmer’ this month will tempt you!
- Walk to Seacombe (approximately 45 mins) for the second swim.
- Walk to Winspit (approximately 35 mins) for the third and final swim of the day.
- Walk back to Worth Matravers (approximately 30 mins)and the Square & Compass for a pint and a pasty lunch.
- The total walk distance is 5 miles (see attached map) and timings are approximate. Based on 45 minutes at each swim site we should be back at the pub by 2.30ish. The timings might be useful for any late arrivals or anyone who’d only wish to join us for a pint and a pasty.
- Swims will be 20 – 30 minutes long. Distance isn’t the criteria, but the sheer enjoyment of swimming off the rocks in the clear water of these historic quarry sites is!
- We will be supported by the Poole Lifeguards’ Legacy RIB, which will provide us with safety cover for the three swims. The less confident of swimmers might wish to use a tow buoy.
- It is recommended that walking shoes or trainers are worn between swims. The water temperature is currently 16/17 degrees and with swims no longer than 30 minutes, wet suits are not considered necessary but remain a personal choice.
- If the weather is warm and clear, everyone should carry enough water and consider wearing a hat and sun screen.
- Consider car sharing with friends if possible.
- If club members wish to invite friends, they should be confident of their open water competence and remain responsible for them; – they should include them in their registration.
- All three swims are exposed to Southerly winds and in the event of strong winds may need to be cancelled. We will monitor the weather forecast throughout the preceding week and in the event of an inclement forecast, a final go/no go email will be sent to everyone on Friday 1st September.
- Any club member wishing to swim should email me their name and mobile number and an ‘In Case of Emergency’ (ICE) name and contact number. Those members wishing to invite guests should include them in this email. If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to contact me.